The mobile web
As more and more people use mobile phones to browse the internet, it's becoming important that your website looks good on a mobile phone.
We design all our websites to look great in Safari on an iPhone, which is the most common mobile browser, but depending on your audience you may want to think about a separate mobile-formatted version of your site.
If you're considering a mobile version of your website, here are our design tips:
- Make it plain - black text on a white background is easier to read on a small screen. Remove background images and styling to further aid readability.
- Keep it quick - mobile connections can be slow so remove large animations. Don't lose your visitors because they get bored waiting for your page to load!
- No Flash - Apple famously don't support Adobe Flash on the iPhone and iPad, so ensure that your site works without it.
- Don't make them choose - Automatically redirect mobile users to the mobile version of your site so that they can quickly find what they want.
- Allow them to switch - Some users will want to view the normal version of your website, so give them the option to view it. If they do switch, show them the same page they're currently looking at.
- Call to action - Make your phone number prominent to make it easy for your visitors to call you.