Your browser's cache
Monday 5th September 2016
When you go to a web page, the browser stores a copy of the page to speed up page loading in future.
Most files and images are loaded from this 'cache' when you go back to a website you have visited previously.
However, this means that sometimes when a page changes, you won't see the most up-to-date version unless you clear your cache.
Find your browser on this page to learn how to clear the cache.
If you don't know which browser you are using, go to the Help menu - the last menu item will usually give you information about your browser.
- Click the menu icon in the top right, then go to More tools then choose Clear browsing data
- Select the beginning of time from the drop-down at the top
- Tick only Cached images and files in the options - make sure all the others are unticked
- Click Clear browsing data
- Reload the page
Chrome on iPhone / iPad
- Open the Chrome app
- At the top right, tap the three vertical dots
- Tap Settings then scroll down and click Privacy
- Click the Clear browsing data
- Check Cached Images and Files and uncheck the other items
- Click Clear Browsing Data
- Confirm by tapping Clear Browsing Data
- Click Finished in the top right to exit
- Click the cog icon top right and choose Internet Options
- Select the General tab
- In the Browsing history section click Delete...
- Tick Preserve Favourites website data and Temporary Internet Files boxes and click Delete
- Click OK to close the window
- Reload the page (click the refresh icon next to the address or F5)
- Click the Hub icon (three horizontal lines of different lengths)
- Click the History icon (a clock with an anti-clockwise arrow)
- Click the link labeled Clear all history in the top right.
- Only tick the Cached data and files option, untick the others
- Click the Clear button.
- The message All Clear! will appear below the button
- Reload the page by pressing the refresh button (a circular arrow in the top left of the browser)
- Go to the Tools menu and choose Options
- Click the Privacy tab
- Under History choose clear your recent history
- In the popup window that appears, choose Everything from Time range to clear and ensure that ONLY Cache is ticked in Details
- Go to the Safari menu, then choose Edit and click Empty Cache
- Click Empty to confirm
- Reload the page
Safari on iPhone / iPad
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down to Safari and click it
- Scroll down to the bottom and click Clear History and Website Data
- Confirm by clicking Clear History and Website Data